Jerk spice is a popular spice in the Islands. Historians believe that jerk spice was developed by Marrons who were African slaves living in Jamaica.
One reason why I love the Jamaican culture and food is because it is similar to some of the West African foods. In fact Ghanaian slaves (my ancestors) specifically Akan tribe were taken to Jamaica and they were referred to as Koromantis.
Afromeals jerk spice is very aromatic with a blend of different aromatic spices to give you that Jamaican Caribbean experience.
Jerk spice is a rub that can be used on anything. You can enjoy Jerk chicken, beef, goat meat, pork, fish, tofu, mushroom and even vegetables. It is very versatile.
- 1 pound or 16 ounces. of (any meat, fish, vegetables, tofu, and mushrooms)
- Rinse your meat or any meat replacement.
- Add a little salt (1/4 tsp) or any salt alternative.
- Add 1 -2 teaspoon of Afromeals Jerk seasoning to your meat.
- Add 1-2 teaspoon(s) of oil (any oil)
- (Optional) Place ingredients in a ziplock bag or a bowl, close it and let it marinated for 30minutes to 2 hours in a refrigerator.
- Grill or bake (375 F) the meat in an oven for about 30 – 45 minutes. To keep meat juicy wrap it in foil or use an air fryer. You can also seared/sautéed meat, seafood or vegetables in a pan on a stovetop.
- Pair jerk chicken with salad, Rasta Pasta, fried rice, plantain or rice and beans and curry stew!